Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Introduction Post #1 - Sharon

For the introductory chapter, I'm just going to write about some of the excerpts from the chapter that I highlighted and why I highlighted them.

The first section in the intro that really caught my attention was on page xiv, second paragraph about 2/3 of the way down. The section starts " We'd like to push many of them side and suggest that much literacy development is not subject specific... [W]e learn the syntactical cues and that show us ... relationships and use those cues across all content areas."

I marked this because it just supports the directions that we have been taking for the past couple of years, especially with the TLTTs getting into the content areas and showing content teachers how to integrate literacy strategies onto the content areas. I hope that more teachers see that they can teach good literacy strategies and not have to give up content. Since I'm out of the school, I find it hard to have a sense if content teachers are being more accepting of their role as teachers of both content and literacy or if they are still clinging to the belief that they don't teach reading (and writing and spelling, etc).

For English, I really feel that especially with grade 9 and 10 students, we need to go beyond the literary criticism/analysis focus and focus on how they interpret the texts. I just read and article in the current issue of English Journal that addresses this issue. The teacher had 2 Grade 11 English classes and he did his regular lessons (where he asked the questions and led students to the 'right' answer) with one and with the other he used the same texts but used a variety of literacy strategies (inferring, making connections, visualizing, summarizing, organizing), oral discussions and rereads of short text passages to help students build meaning. He found that the second class, who was required to construct and support their own meaning from the text understood, comprehended and retained much more that when he used his traditional methods.

The second place where I marked was on the next page (xv), first paragraph where it starts "Will the strategies presented in this book help your students who read significantly below grade level? Absolutely - but only if you use the strategies that are at the student's instructional and/or independent reading levels."

A question came to mind here. Why are so many teachers still teaching the whole class novel? So many times I see requests in the English conference by teachers looking for whole class sets of novels (and some of these novels are really old). How do we engage students with texts that not all of them can read or even want to read? A significant amount of money was invested in small groups of books for lit circles and there are online databases that teachers can access to get magazines and newspaper articles at different reading levels for students. I am wondering why we even have use for an English textbook. One of the things we need to do this year is to choose new English textbooks for grades 9 -11 academic, applied, college and university. Do we need these textbooks or would more small sets of novels and non-fiction at a variety of reading levels be a better use of our money? I really fell that there is a need for more differentiated texts to engage our students.

The last section that I highlighted was on page xvi the second and third paragraphs. This was just a reminder to me that my job as a teacher is to model and provide scaffolded lessons that support students to move to independence. I can think of the times that I didn't provide that scaffolding and was just an activity giver and assumed that the students had all of the skills to complete the assignment. Strangely enough, when I was an activity giver it was when I was teaching secondary school, not elementary. What happened when I walked through those secondary doors? Why did I assume that these adolescents had all the skills?

I look forward to your comments and responses.

5 comments:

Natalie Middleton said...

Sharon,

I am positive that more work needs to be done on convincing all subject area teachers that we are all teachers of literacy.

As a former TLTT, I find it very disheartening when teachers reject the idea of using literacy as a platform for their subject matter. At my school, I am constantly overcoming the argument that, "I don't have time to teach all these paragraphs and stuff". It's been a real struggle to persuade colleagues to have an open mind and see that so many literacy strategies (KWL, Cornell notes, Anticipation Guides, Mind Maps, Retell/Relate/Reflect, etc.) are just great TEACHING strategies that can actually save time because of their proven effectiveness and transferability.

In addition, I continue to be amazed with the fact that we don't have a TLTT at my school- and it just doesn't seem fair. For a school population of staff and students alike that really need one, it's just so easy to identify an area of opportunity for growth and learning that's unfortunately continuing to be overlooked.

It makes me sad because there's so much potential for change. It makes me feel like, at least when it comes to budgeting for learning support, the teachers and kids at Century aren't worth the investment. So sad.

As for texts, I completely agree with you. I think getting some teachers to shift away from the whole-class novel is scary for those who are uneasy about change or just plain lazy. Even when I do use textbooks (which is rare- we don't have many), I'll usually assign different short stories/articles for group analysis.

For summer school this year (I taught the remedial Grade 7/8 English), I used a great set of (mostly) non-fiction texts for mini-lit-circles and they went over very well- they're the Bold Print series with titles like, "Famous Trials", "True Crime", "Urban Legends", "Extreme Adventures", etc. and I would love to order more of these for my kids at Century. There's such a range of pieces in these themed anthologies...they meet a range of student ability levels and interests. Are you familiar with these? They're great.

:)
Natalie

Sharon Seslija said...

I asked about TLTTs for Century and Western once. The answer I got that it's a funding issue - spec ed vs 'regular'. I think that some think that TLTT funding should come out of spec ed for those schools and spec ed thinks it shouldn't. Horrid answer but that's where it seems to stand. Hopefully your new principal will be someone who is willing to take this on - perhaps a bug in her ear from you?
I am familiar with Bold Print. Something like this would make a lot of sense for Century students. That's why I am really questioning if we should spend a pile of money on core texts for English or look at other options. What do you think?

Natalie Middleton said...

Hey Sharon,

Yes- sorry to harp on that TLTT issue- I will be chatting up Joan about it soon! :)

I honestly don't think a core set of texts is the way to go anymore...I've shifted my priorities recently where I'm more focused on finding something engaging first and then checking to see that it will fulfil the curriculum expectations...I wonder what other teachers think?

Although it seems more work at first to teach in reading groups/lit. circles, I'm willing to put in the extra effort to start them off because it pays off in the end- they're interested all the way through and really learning how to explore a text- rather than being guided through another "boring" novel study that doesn't appeal...

Last semester, I only did one novel study in each of my classes and spent the rest of the time with various texts- I'm finding it's a gradual way for me to move away from whole-class study. What happens when you drop a novel or two? What materials can you introduce? I'm just beginning to understand that the possibilities are endless...and I like trying new things and finding new successes.

:)
Natalie

D. Sleziak said...

Sharon,

We,too, do not have a TLTT at PASS. Do you know the reason for this?

Sharon Seslija said...

Darina, again I think it has to do with spec ed and alternative program funding. Three is only so much money in the Student Success pot. Again I think that it will come back to your principal lobbying for funding.